This oriented church stands on a flat piece of land on the western side of Grmada, on the eastern slope of Nanos. In 1360, the church is mentioned as a filial of the Vipava parish. The building is Gothic in its core. It was rebuilt in the 17th century, ad in the 17th and 18th centuries, it was served by priests from Podnanos. The church and altars were consecrated on 15 September 1624 by the Bishop of Trieste Rinaldo Scarlichi. It was repaired several times in the following centuries, as indicated by the inscriptions and dates on the façade and the bell tower. It was in ruins from the 1960s, and was thoroughly renovated in 1990. The Baroque pillar-type marble high altar of St. Jerome has not been preserved in its original form. The pillars, part of entablature, gable and reliefs are missing. The Baroque stone pillar-type side altars, which stood against the triumphal arch wall, have been left to ruin. Their remains are now part of a lintel built into the wall to the right of the triumphal arch.
It is a pilgrimage church in its character. Oral tradition says that sailors from Trieste used to donate a large barrel of oil to the church every year so that a light could be kept in it at night to help navigate their ships.
Spletna stran za nemoteno delovanje uporablja piškotke
Spletna stran za delovanje uporablja samo nujno potrebne piškotke, za katere ne potrebujemo vaše privolitve. Brez namestitve teh piškotkov, vam nemotenega dostopa do spletne strani ne moremo omogočiti.
Za več informacij si preberite Pravilnik o piškotkih.